John and Martha McDermott arrived in the United States In 1848.
John B. McDermott was born in Moville, Inishowen. He and his wife
first settled in Brooklyn, New York, then St Lawrence County, New
York and finally Cherokee County, Iowa in 1860. In 1861, they came
to Correctionville, and in 1865 they moved to Arlington Township
where he bought a farm, known as Allendale Farm, 1 mile south of
the present town of Moville. They kept a stage station in the original
house built in 1863. The McDermott farm was the stopping place for
the stage coach that ran between Fort Dodge and Sioux City until
the railway road was built.
In 1868, Mr. McDermott and T.J. Jones, together with a few men
from Sioux City, were responsible for having a Post Office established
in his residence. Because it was in his residence he was granted
the privilege of naming the Post Office and he choose the name "Moville",
the town of his birth. There are only two Movilles in the world,
Moville, Ireland and Moville, Iowa.
To see Moville Iowa click here www.visitmoville.com